Overview and Policies
Buses are available to support the University of Georgia student community for trips that serve the university’s mission.
The Campus Transit System has a limited number of buses available for charter service. Requests for standard charter service to transport students to scheduled university-sponsored events within Athens-Clarke County are scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Non-standard requests are those requiring transportation of persons other than UGA students, trips requiring travel outside of Athens-Clarke County, or trips that do not have a clear connection to the university’s educational mission. Non-standard charters will have higher fees due to unrelated business income and associated additional overhead and taxes. Non-standard requests require the approval of Campus Transit’s Director.
- Campus Transit buses must remain within a 70-mile radius of Athens. Buses cannot leave the state nor can they remain at a destination overnight.
- One University faculty or staff member must accompany and supervise riders on each bus requested.
- No open containers of food or beverage are allowed on the buses. Alcoholic beverages and smoking are prohibited on buses.
- Charter Requests cannot be approved and processed more than 2 months in advance of the service date.
Charter Bus Rates & Charges
The charter service rate is $90 per hour per bus which covers the use of the bus, a driver, and fuel. The time accounted for includes:
- Pre-trip preparation time, generally 45 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time for campus pick-up points.
- The total trip time the bus is in use including layover time at the destination. The minimum trip time charged is two hours.
- Post-trip time (generally one-half hour) to return the bus to the Campus Transit Facility for cleaning and refueling.
Same day charters will not be split. For example if you request a charter to shuttle from 8 AM to 11 AM and again from 3 PM to 5 PM, it will be billed for the entire 8-5 time period.
Additional charges will be applied for any expenses such as parking fees or tolls.
Charges will be made to the chartering department for buses returned that require additional cleaning.
Groups requesting charter bus service must supply a valid University department account number, to be charged for services provided.
Upon completion of the trip, the group leader must verify his or her release time with a signature on the Charter Order.
Late Booking Surcharge: charter requests made less than 10 working days prior to the desired departure date will incur a surcharge of $100.
Canceling Buses: Buses may be canceled during normal office hours (8 to 5 Monday – Friday) up to 2 business days before the scheduled charter to avoid cancellation charges. A cancellation charge of $180 per bus may be assessed for buses that are canceled late. Call the Campus Transit office at (706) 227-7014 to cancel a scheduled charter bus.
Campus Transit offers professional drivers to operate University-owned cars or vans for special purposes. The current rate is $50 per hour with a 2 hour minimum charge per driver. Use the Bus Request form linked below to make a request for "Driver Only" services.
Request a Charter
- Charter service requests may be made by using our online form.
- A completed request must be received at least 10 working days prior to the desired departure date.
- Charters are confirmed via email upon receipt of your final bus count and completed itinerary.