UGA Transportation & Parking Services takes pride in having one of the safest transit systems in the nation.
Safety is the collective responsibility of all drivers, bikers, passengers, and pedestrians, so help us keep everyone safe by observing the below safety practices.
As a driver, biker or pedestrian, please observe the following:
- Stay back from the curb until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Cross the street behind the bus. This helps you to see and be seen by other motorists.
- Do not walk between two stopped buses. Buses will occasionally roll back slightly when the brakes are released.
- When driving another vehicle, do not pass a stopped bus unless you are in a passing zone.
- If you ride a bicycle, skateboard, or roller blades, do not hang on to the rear of the bus or follow too closely. The bus may stop unexpectedly.
As a passenger, please observe the following:
- Be ready to get on or off the bus when it stops. Drivers are instructed not to open the doors again once they begin to re-enter traffic.
- No passengers are allowed to ride in front of the yellow standee line.
- Drivers are instructed to load and unload at bus stops only.
- If standing, please move to the center of the bus. Drivers are instructed not to move the bus with people standing in unsafe locations.
- If you are traveling with a stroller or other wheeled device, be sure to lock the wheels or maintain control of your property while the bus is in motion.
- Shirt and shoes are required on the bus at all times.
Wheeled Mobility Devices Policy
Wheeled and seated mobility devices (WSMDs) are medical devices that are intended to provide mobility and function for persons with restricted or no ability to ambulate without assistance. Mobility aids, such as wheelchairs and motorized scooters are considered approved motorized devices allowed on UGA Buses.
The following motorized devices are permitted on the bus:
- Motorized Wheelchair
- Motorized Scooter for persons with mobility impairments
The following motorized devices are Not permitted on the bus (this is not an all-inclusive list for restricted devices):
- Electric Skateboards
- One Wheel Motorized Skateboards
- Electric Scooters
- Electric Motorbikes
Audio & Video Surveillance
All University of Georgia Transit vehicles are equipped with audio/video security equipment. This equipment remains on at all times while the vehicle is running. Vehicles equipped with security equipment include signs or decals posted in various locations on the interior of the vehicle to advise riders of the presence of such equipment. Access to recordings made by this equipment is limited to UGA Transit's supervisory staff and may be used for the following purposes:
- Incident or accident investigation
- Random checks to ensure staff compliance with laws, policies, procedures, and other regulations
When needed, such recordings may be disclosed to law enforcement agencies to be used as evidence in their investigations.